Italian sausage meatballs
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef (or ½ extra lean ground turkey and ½ extra lean ground beef)
- 500 gm sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley (or dried parsley)
- ¼ small Spanish onion, roughly chopped (or blended in food processor)
- ¼ red onion, roughly chopped (or blended in food processor)
- 1 zucchini (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Coarse grind black pepper
- extra virgin organic coconut oil
- Remove the Italian sausage from its casing. Mix all of the ingredients, (except for coconut oil), together until well combined. Roll the meatballs into the desired size.
- To cook, heat coconut oil in a sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the meatballs. Fry 5-7 minutes, until bottom is browned.
- Turn meatballs to opposite side and fry until that side is nicely browned, another 5-7 minutes. Cut one open to determine if it is fully cooked on the inside. If not quite done, turn heat to low and cover pan for a few more minutes or put meatballs in a warm oven while you fry another batch.
- *Option, add fresh herbs, (rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc.) to the above mixture.
- You can also omit the turkey sausage and only use ground meat.